To set myself up for success, I’m doing all of the following:
- Scheduling: Each Sunday night I’m scheduling my runs for the upcoming week. By slotting my runs on quieter days, I am more likely to do them.
- Planning: Each night, I am laying out my run gear for the next day. It is easier to do this at night than when rushing out the door in the morning.
- Tracking: I am logging the details of each run and noting any aches and pains during and after. It’s always helpful to be able to look back at training.
- Progressing: Although I am very anxious to improve, I am taking care to not do ‘too much too soon’ by sticking to the 10% weekly volume increase guideline.
- Socializing: I am trying to meet up with others for longer runs. Chit chatting during easier, longer runs is fun and makes the time fly by.
- Racing: I am signing up for running races to add a layer of motivation and to define short-term goals.
I’m happy to report success this week. I got in all four runs I planned for myself, reached out to people to connect for weekend runs and signed up for my first running race in a while. So far so good on my quest to regain my love of running. If you are in a running funk, follow the strategies above and just get moving. All it takes is the decision to start and one step at a time. Hope to see you on the paths soon. 😊