Funky Monkey Cacao Smoothie
Smoothies are fast, easy, nutritious and great after a long or intense workout. In this recipe, which tastes like it could be a dessert, you can increase or decrease the carbohydrate component (fruits) depending on your bodyweight, and duration and intensity of your training session.
1 frozen banana
1/4 cup frozen raspberries
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1 Tbsp ground flax
1/2- 1 cup frozen Spinach
1/2 to 3/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk
1 Tbsp almond butter ((optional)) – Ideally omit if immediately post workout
1 scoop of chocolate protein powder (Note: can be a whole food protein source like Greek yoghurt, Tofu, quinoa etc …)
1 Tsp cacao
Note: cacao and cocoa are not the same thing! You can learn how they are different in the article “What is the Difference between Cacao and Cocoa?” by Katey Davidson, MScFN, RD.
Cacao is a key ingredient here with its deep dark chocolate taste and its reputation of being one of nature’s superfoods. It’s a must to add to your smoothie pantry list. Smoothies can be batch made, frozen and stored for quick and easy meal prep.
- $$ Buy discounted ripe bananas, peel and freeze in individual bags or freeze on baking sheets and then place in one big bag in the freezer.
- $$ Buy large containers/bags of discounted spinach/greens and freeze.
- $$ If you have fresh berries that are about to go bad , freeze them and use in smoothies.
- Leftover smoothie mix during summer months makes great popsicles! Simply add to paper cups with a popsicle stick and freeze.
- Leftover smoothie mix plus chia seeds makes a great pudding for later.
Nutrition Facts for “The Funky Monkey Cacao Smoothie”
Serves 1.25 ( without nut butter )
Calories … 258
Fat … 6.7g
Carb … 29g
Protein … 30g
Barb Bryan, BSc(Pharmacy), BSc(Nutrition) APA PRESCRIBING RIGHTS
Thank you Barb for sharing this great recipe!